One of the most famous and fascinating wildlife sanctuaries in the country, Thekkdy has an exceptionally rich and enchantingly diverse flora and fauna. The ecological pattern of the place has the unique capability to make every visitor a naturalist. This renowned wildlife sanctuary offers a unique and untamed experience of nature.
Thekkady is your best chance to watch wildlife at the closest range. Elephants at their natural best, endless chains of hills, vast spice scented plantations, daunting Tigers and a spectacular Lake; the images you have about the place are not far from reality. The crisp and cool weather ensures you the finest of holidays.
Thekkady is 180 km away from the Kochi International Airport and is well connected to both the Kerala and Tamil Nadu states via road. The nearest town, Kumily, is 5 km away from the wildlife sanctuary.
One of the most visited wildlife reserves in India, the Periyar forest offers the best opportunity to watch and photograph wild life. With plenty of picturesque plantations and hill towns, you will get enough places here for trekking. A cruise through the Periyar Lake, where you can watch wildlife from the boat on the lake, is once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The forest department offers a variety of activities for the nature lovers.
They are as below:
Periyar Tiger Reserve Community Based eco-tourism programmes
1) Nature Walk – 3 hour day trekking : 7 am, 11 am, 2 pm | Tariff Rs. 100/- per person. (minimum Rs. 500/-)
2) Periyar Tiger Trail : Camping inside the forest (starting at 9 am)
1 night / 2 days: Rs. 3000/- per person, Minimum Rs. 5000/-
2 nighs / 3 days: Rs. 5000/- per person, Minimum Rs. 7500/-
3) Border Hiking (Full Day hiking ) 8 am to 5 pm, Rs. 750 per person
4) Bamboo Rafting: Trekking & Rafting 8 am to 5 pm
5) Jungle Patrol: Night Trekking 7 pm to 10 pm, 10 pm to 1 am, 1 am to 4 am, Tariff Rs. 500/- per person
6) Tribal Heritage 8 am to 4 pm, Two hours trip Rs. 100
7) The Jungle Inn: 3 pm to 9 am: Dinner & Trekking & entrance: Rs. 2000/- per cottage for 2 persons
8 Bamboo Grove: Food & Boaring and Entrance: Rs. 2000/- per cottage per 2 persons
9) Coracle and bullock cart ride: Rs. 1000 per person
10) Boating in Periyar Lake: 7 am, 9.30 am 2 pm, 4 pm (2 hours each).